Web developer - Junior position
ICM - Brain and Spine InstituteParis, France | Posted: 3 months ago
We are one of the major research institutes for neurosciences in Europe and participate to changing the way patients with brain diseases are treated. It is a unique place that gathers researchers, clinicians and engineers with more than 600 people working in a brand new building downtown Paris.
The newly created ICM Center of Neuroinformatics aims at improving the collection, storage, management and analysis of medical and scientific data, gathered by the teams of researchers and the technological platforms of the Institute. We believe that allowing the development of data-driven approaches in neuroscience research will yield important breakthroughs in the understanding of the human brain and novel technological tools to improve patients care.
Neuroinformatics has many unexplored outcomes for the research industry and this is your chance to contribute at the start of a great experience.
Your fundamental mission will be to develop applications that will help organize and structure all the institute's scientific data: human and animal brain models, biological and clinical data, neuroimaging, electrophysiological data and genomic data.
More specifically, and under the supervision of an experienced team, your work will consist of:
- Develop, deploy and maintain web applications for the institute's various teams, platforms and projects, for the management and analysis of data generated by fundamental and clinical research in neuroscience
- Integrate and deploy specialized applications based on open-source community solutions, such as REDCap (eCRF), XNAT (imaging) and tranSMART (data integration)
- Contribute to the main project of the Centre of Neuroinformatics: index all the data produced by the institute, and develop a web application to explore, search and serve this data (with Elasticsearch)
- Promote the adoption within the ICM scientific teams of the created tools (training sessions, workshops, publications on specific developments).
Education and professional experience:
- Master's degree in computer science (software engineering), or double degree in biology and computer science (master's level), or general engineering degree with a strong component in computer development;
- At least 6 months of experience (internships included) in IT development (preferably web).
- Professional experience in a scientific research environment would be a plus.
Knowledge and techniques:
- Adaptability capabilities: we also regularly use Python, Oracle, Elasticsearch and the Elastic ecosystem, bash, various tools and libraries.... You must be able to learn new languages and tools quickly
- Good knowledge of UNIX (shell) environments
- Work with collaborative development tools (git, continuous integration, project management tools)
- Knowledge of data manipulation in biology (genomics, imaging, clinical) would be a plus
- French COD contract (Fixed term contract), with the possibility of a permanent contract
- Compensation: based on skills and experience
- You are able to integrate into a team of developers, and also to communicate with experts from various scientific backgrounds
- Complex projects motivate you
- You learn quickly and adapt easily to a constantly changing environment
And above all, you are motivated to contribute to the advancement of neuroscience research, neuroinformatics has many unexplored opportunities for research and this position is an opportunity to contribute to the start of a major project.