Senior Software Engineer - API
GiphyNew York, NY | Posted: 3 months ago
GIPHY is the world’s largest place to search, discover, and create all the GIFs. We’re the leading brand in short-form entertainment and visual communication.
iMessage, Facebook, Twitter, Tinder, Slack, WhatsApp and many more all integrate against our API to serve GIFS to their millions of users across the globe. We serve over 5 billion GIFS every day to more than 300 million people.
We’re a creative and passionate group of GIF-obsessed individuals continuing to build out what we believe is the future of GIFs. We have big goals and are looking for like-minded, talented people to join us.
About the Role:
Reporting to the Director of API Engineering we’re looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer who is passionate about designing, creating and delivering highly scalable distributed services to join our API team. The GIPHY API is the core infrastructure that powers both internal and external products including Giphy.com, GIPHY mobile apps, several major, native social media integrations, thousands of indie developer apps, and more.
Our public API services tens of billions of requests and traffics many petabytes of media per month.
What you'll do:
- Design and develop high-availability, performant services enabling millions of people to search for and create GIFs via public-facing APIs
- Contribute to development and deployment processes as GIPHY migrates its platform to a microservices architecture
- Research and prototype new technologies to be introduced into our systems and infrastructure
- Collaborate with Product and Business Development to realize new products and features
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent work experience (5+ years)
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Solid background in multiple programming languages, e.g. Scala, PHP, Python or Java
- Passion about system architecture and building distributed systems at high scale
- Comfort working collaboratively and cross-team
- S/he must have a strong ability to grasp complex technical concepts
- Experience developing service oriented systems, REST
- Able to quickly respond to changing priorities and change the development pace of certain services if priorities change
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to write detailed technical plans
- Experience working with high scale, low latency systems
- Familiarity with *nix and its tooling
- Sense of humor and love of GIFs
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience designing RESTful APIs
- Experience with the JVM and Scala
- Experience with architecting systems
- Start-up experience
This is a full time salaried position, including stock options, fully covered health insurance, 4% 401K match, free catered lunch every day, fully covered Equinox or ClassPass gym membership and lots of other fun perks.