Semantic MediaWiki Engineer (m/f/d)
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – German National Library of Science and Technology is looking to employ a
Semantic MediaWiki Engineer (m/f/d)
to work in the TIB Research & Development Department. The candidate’s competence area should be squarely rooted in Semantic MediaWiki and Web software engineering. He / she should be able to think creatively, grasp new knowledge quickly, be able to design and develop innovative applications and be interested in mastering complex challenges. He / she will be responsible to develop innovative and mature information services for the TIB stakeholders in Science and Technology.
- A master’s or bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Computer Science, Mathematics)
- Proficiency in spoken and written English. Proficiency in German is a plus.
- Excellent proficiency in MediaWiki and Semantic MediaWiki development (esp. Web technologies, PHP, MySQL) and modern software engineering methodologies (esp. agile methods, DevOps).
- Experience and interest in user-centric design and modern Web UI development as well as crowd-sourcing and collaborative community applications is a plus.
- Familiarity with Semantic Technologies, Data Management, Human-Computer Interaction, Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics or Digital Libraries is an asset.
Possible work areas include (but are not limited to)
- Development of Semantic MediaWiki applications for research information management in the context of our Open Research Knowledge Graph and org initiatives
- Configuration and development of Semantic MediaWiki and MediaWiki installations, applications and extensions
- Development of a SMW-based scientific conference service, including conference metadata, quality, different views, analytics, crowdsourcing and collaboration, etc.
What we offer
We provide a scientifically and intellectually inspiring environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical university and one of the largest technical information centers being part of Leibniz Research Association. Our aim is to provide the environment and resources to make the software engineers successful in their field. There is a close cooperation with the Research Center L3S of Leibniz University Hannover - the L3S is one of the world's leading research institutes in the fields of Web & Data Science. Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open and creative working atmosphere with flat hierarchies in which it is fun to work. Furthermore, we offer:
- Candidates will work in the context of a national, European or international research and innovation project.
- Funding is available for equipment, conference and research visit travel.
- A portfolio of technology components to build on, including TIB AV-Portal, TIB‘s arXiv-Portal, DBpedia, BigDataEurope Platform, OntoWiki, Qanary QA, SlideWiki,
- Qualified candidates will start in pay grade 12 or 13 TV-L of the German public service pay-scale depending on the qualification (Bachelor/Master)
- Although this is a software engineering position, further scientific qualification such as a master’s degree or working towards a PhD degree might be possible for qualified candidates.
The position starts as soon as possible. Initial appointment will be for 3 years with envisioned extension and possibility to make the position permanent. The working time is 100 % of the regular weekly working time (39.8 hours/week).
How to apply
Please send your complete application documents (CV and a brief motivational statement incl. your research interests) with the subject 5/2019 before 28 February 2019 either as a single PDF document file to [email protected] or by post addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given preferential treatment.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned, and application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
Please do not send emails larger than 10 MB. Questions regarding the positions can be addressed to the director of TIB, Prof. Dr. Sören Auer ([email protected]).