Senior Web Developer
Sisu (www.sisumedia.com) is an award-winning digital agency, located in sunny Los Angeles, CA. We are dedicated to doing excellent work, building lasting relationships, and cultivating a respectful, inspiring environment. We are looking for a talented, dedicated Senior Web Developer to join our team.
While our team is small, our projects and clients are not. We have active projects for a stellar set of entertainment, media, and technology brands, including DC Comics, Disney Innovation Labs, American Express, Illumina, Facebook, Western Union, the Grammys, and many more. Projects include responsive media portals; web and native apps; dashboards and enterprise tools; and compelling skunkworks projects.
The ideal candidate will be inquisitive and driven, with a love for UX, design and technology and a desire to contribute, grow and lead. At Sisu, developers are involved from concept to prototype to final delivery. Development serves as a foundation for our work and is critical to delivering polished, successful products. This role could be filled by a pure front-end developer, hybrid designer/developer or a full stack developer - or a combination of two.
Historically our in-house developers have been focused on delivering exemplary front-end experiences that exhibit adherence to design guidelines; an understanding of micro-interactions and animations; and organized, clean and maintainable code. We have moved further into full stack development in-house, including headless WordPress, web app and API development. We are in the process of defining this ‘Sisu Stack,” and you will be a key team member in the process.
The Senior Web Developer will guide other in-house developers as well as external resources. They will work with a variety of technologies and frameworks, and as newer approaches develop and new client needs emerge, will help us identify them, learn them and add them to the mix.
This is a great position for someone who is eager to grow their toolset; work with smart clients; be part of a thriving, historically-stable agency; collaborate with friendly people and hang out with a bunch of equally friendly dogs.
Examples of current and recent projects including the following (but we do not expect one person to know all of these):
- Wordpress Sites leveraging Custom Post Types, Advanced Custom Fields and NPM/Gulp/Webpack to create custom interactive functionality, custom themes and headless sites
- JAMStack Sites: Netlify, Forestry, Hugo, Gatsby
- Single Page and Progressive Web Apps:- Node API Server + React, Redux, Webpack +githooks
- Native Apps: Node/Express + React Native
- Innovation projects including Surface-based productivity tools, AR and VR tests
Desired Skills and Experience
We look at the person as a whole. The below is by no means exhaustive nor 100% required.
The desired skill set and experience for the position includes:
- 7+ years at an agency, product company or in-house development group at a major brand or media property
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field OR equivalent work experience
- Built work that shows you create amazing websites and web apps!
- User friendly
- Strong ability to communicate and collaborate with clients, other team members, freelance resources and outside tech agencies
- Define technical requirements
- Research and recommend solutions
- Guide the development process
- Build good relationships
- Work with UX, Visual Design and Production to define what’s possible and how to push boundaries
- Desire to guide Sisu’s evolving approach to development
- Champion the dev team’s culture, norms, and best practices
- Support the growth of other devs through constructive, collaborative code reviews
- Research and refine Sisu’s preferred stack
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple deliverables
Desired Tech Skills
- Excellence at translating Sketch/PSD files into responsive layouts
- Pixel-perfect match of designs + ability to extrapolate flats to fluid
- Semantic, accessible HTML
- Preprocessor like SASS
- Methodologies (such as Atomic Design, BEM, SMACSS)
- Cross browser testing
- Know how to use modern frameworks like React
- Understanding of modern, lightweight content management tools
- Custom theming
- Headless options
- PHP Frameworks such as Symfony and Laravel
Modern processes and tools such as
- Build and version control tools
- Unit and integration testing
Nice to Have
- A good eye for design.
- Comfortable digging around a PSD/Sketch file to pull out the assets you need
- Prior experiencing managing others and leading code reviews
- Advanced animation skills
- SEO and Accessibility
- Additional dev skills
- Node/Express/Mongo to build API