Head of Front-End Development
iTech MediaLondon | Posted: 3 months ago
Position: Head of Front-End Development Type: Full-time, permanent Location: London
Your main activities:
- Manage and motivate your team of Developers so your area delivers outstanding results on time.
- Plan for the growth of your team, both in terms of team members and also the skills needed to deliver on your goals.
- Recognise opportunities for improvement of current websites in collaboration with areas responsible for SEO, Content, and other aspects.
- Work closely with other teams to agree on project plans and timelines and execute on those plans.
- Help recruit new team members as well as plan training and development courses for the team.
People skills you need to have
- Know how to inspire a culture geared towards getting things done in a collaborative, supportive, and fun atmosphere.
- Be able to prioritise and juggle multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously, and sometimes when they’ve changed unexpectedly.
- Have experience with interviewing, hiring, and successfully managing a high-output team, including setting goals and training plans, carrying out 1-1s and giving feedback.
- Being a leader and role model to the team and a great example of our core values.
Technical skills you need to have:
- Knowledge of vue.js and jQuery
- Good knowledge of PHP and its built-in functions
- Familiarity with MySQL databases
- Experience using GIT
- Knowledge of Docker and understanding of how containers work
- Understanding of UI and UX fundamentals
- WordPress knowledge is a bonus
How important is the Head of Front-End Development at iTech Media?
iTech Media is an incredibly fast-growing digital technology company specialising in one of the most user centric markets. Therefore, our capabilities to create compelling and interactive websites is crucial. We view front-end development as essentially the engine that powers the online presence for our global projects. It’s that important. We need someone who can spend the majority of their day coaching, leading and inspiring these crucial and rapidly-growing development teams within the company.
Where does this job fit into the organisation?
We’ve grown the front-end development team to 17 Developers and expect it to roughly double in the next year. That represents a significant collection of talent that needs continuous care and cultivation in order to produce the very best results. That will be your job and challenge.
Working closely with Team Leaders and Senior Developers, you’ll take complete ownership of the front-end development team, but you’ll also own the strategy and direction of how it expands over time. There’s a lot of autonomy to make some key decisions in this role.=
Is the development process different at iTech Media compared to what one typically finds elsewhere?
We think so, because - like all our teams - we give the front-end development team significant autonomy. We hire people for their knowledge and creativity, and not merely to follow rigid parameters.
Who will I report to?
You’ll report directly to the Founder, however you’ll work very closely and collaboratively with important stakeholders across our team that also head up key departments.
Who will report to me?
Though you have overall responsibility for the entire front-end development team, you’ll have two experienced Team Leaders reporting to you, alongside a handful of more experienced Developers who take on coaching/leadership responsibilities. They’ll do much of the mentoring and management of the rest of the team, but you will be actively involved driving all team projects.
How many projects might my team have at any one time?
We run over 150 projects as a company, however we’re actively channelling all of our efforts into 16 specific brands at the moment. 2019 is going to involve building more new websites so there’ll be a nice mixture of working on greenfield builds and also carrying out epic work on our flagship products.
How much travel does this position involve?
In 2018 we launched our first office outside the UK, in Warsaw! We expect the successful candidate to unify the front-end development efforts of both offices which may include occasional trips to Poland. Other than that, the only travel you’ll need to do as an iTech Media employee is to whatever destination we choose each year for our company retreat. This year we’re off to Marrakech!
What will my personal space be like?
Our offices are open plan, and you’ll have an allocated space embedded within your high-performing team. We have plenty of areas with sofas, pods, conference rooms and mini-meeting areas if you need to have a confidential discussion or get some deep work done.
How is iTech Media different in general from other companies?
For many companies, it’s simple to have a company culture where everyone is extremely hard working and driven toward the company’s mission, and everyone has bought into that mission. What’s harder to achieve is where that same drive can be achieved in an environment where people don’t take themselves too seriously. The people at iTech Media are certainly driven, but they also will regularly find something that makes them laugh. It’s a high-performance atmosphere while having fun.
We don’t have a stereotypical corporate, pushy, rigid, “we own you” mentality. We have flexi-hours, and also a work-from-home policy. We like for people to enjoy their time away from work and be able to recharge. To put it bluntly, our mentality is to get sh*t done, and do it by any means so we have a great product, while recognising that different environments are necessary for different people to bring out their best work.
What is the hardest part of this job?
It’s probably juggling all of your responsibilities as the leader of a large team, while simultaneously working in a fast-paced industry where things change with little notice.
What sort of benefits come with the position?
- Performance related end of year bonus
- Flexible working hours
- Team Friday lunches: ordered-in from a variety of local restaurants (On your first Friday you get to choose for the whole team!).
- Birthdays off
- Unlimited drinks, snacks, and organic fruit
- Free private health care including dental, optical, physio and well-being
- Choice of Mac/Windows/Linux working environment, Herman Miller chair, top spec Bose headphones.
- Regular well-being activities: mindfulness & nutrition guest speakers
- Opportunity to join our boxing, yoga and 5-a-side football initiatives
- Monthly social events including bowling, ping pong, office parties, summer party and Christmas extravaganza.
- 25 days' holiday + 8 bank holidays + additional paid time-off when the office is closed for the whole - Christmas and New Year period.
- Charity volunteer days
- Pension contribution matched up to 5%
- Annual travel season ticket loan
Here’s the bottom line:
We’re looking for someone who has the proven skills of managing Front-End Developers in order to bring out their best and deliver great work. If that’s you, we can promise that this job will not be just doing more of the same thing you’ve done before. We’re growing rapidly and you will be in a key role. That means you’ll have an opportunity to be challenged and grow in this role that’s central to the company’s success. You’ll share substantially in that success.