Backend Developer (PHP)
BrengerAmsterdam, Netherlands | Posted: 3 months ago
Backend Developer (PHP)
Come join Brenger as a backend developer to build the transportation platform that solves the surprisingly unsolved problem of shipping bulky goods economically, optimizes the utilization of vans on the road, and reduces CO2 emissions along the way!
We can be a match for you if you enjoy building robust, performant, and well-tested server-side applications that interface with the world primarily through REST, message queues and third-party services through their web APIs. We are a well-funded 2-year-old startup of with a steady growth curve comprised of 15 enthusiastic people. The dev team consists of 5 and is expected to double during the next year (currently 1 senior backend developer). The rest of the people are doing growth, operations, accounts, and customer care. Our offices are located in The Thinking Hut, situated in the prettiest part of Amsterdam Oost.
What we offer
- Good salary, possibility for stock options.
- 25 paid vacation days.
- Sane working hours.
- Visa sponsorship, if required of course.
- Highly-skilled, international dev team, most are humans.
- Lots of opportunities to learn.
- Team events which are actually enjoyable: no awkwardness.
- Friday drinks, if that’s your thing.
The parts of the tech stack you would be working with
- The core backend service based on API Platform (which is in turn based on Symfony 4).
- Behat, PHPUnit.
- PostgreSQL 9.6 db, hosted on RDS, accessed through Doctrine 2.
- Containerized Debian + PHP-FPM runtime on ECS Fargate.
- GitLab CI (along with most of GitLab’s other parts).
- Amazon API Gateway.
The results of your work are going to be primarily consumed by React+Redux-Saga web applications, internal and 3rd party services (e.g. ETL, business intelligence, along with the expected 3rd party payments, operations, support, and other stuff). A mobile application to support drivers using the platform is on our short-term roadmap.
There are some things we do not do, like unproductive merge/pull request discussions regarding coding standards and style which we avoid by enforcing them in CI. Instead, we always welcome improvements regarding architecture, programming, and operations practices: anything that strengthens our workflows.
You are also very welcome to poke around in our codebase if you drop by.
- You are welcome to participate in other backend projects if you know Python 3 or are willing to learn.
Our process for hiring:
- Introductory call or meeting depending on where you are situated to get to know each other as humans.
- Coding challenge to get to know you as a dev. Nothing too time-consuming. We expect you to be able to have a life too.
- In-depth technical interview, team fit + meet the founders meeting.
- Offer .
We are looking for someone who:
- Is familiar with the modern PHP ecosystem (7.x features, Composer, etc.).
- Has a preference for our tech stack.
- Has solid experience with ORMs and RDBMS.
- Is competent using git and issue trackers in team workflows.
Send your application via the application form.
Acquisition is not appreciated.