Backend Software Engineer - We're changing the game!
At Football Radar, we analyse and predict football matches. As a backend engineer you’ll have the chance to help build and maintain all the software that makes that possible – everything from modern web applications to statistical models, real time data platforms to cloud infrastructure. Our backend engineers are involved in everything the company does and deal with all kinds of different challenges. A lot of our code is in Scala, which we are using increasingly, but we still have lots of PHP code, and a few odds and ends in other languages. You don’t need to know Scala for this role, however: we’ll help you learn it if you don’t know it, and many of our engineers had no real Scala experience before they started. We are just looking for great programmers who are passionate about their work. If you like a challenge, and want to work with really smart people, we would like to hear from you.
- Above average programming ability
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Experience of working with web applications
- Available to work in the UK
- Senior and junior applicants welcome
- Computer science degree, or equivalent knowledge
- Distributed systems experience
- Full stack development experience
- Functional programming knowledge
- Passion for football or statistical models
About Football Radar Engineering
We have a polyglot and diverse engineering team. Some have a background in start-ups, some in academia, some are refugees from the bureaucracy of finance. We have a handful of specialists, but we’re mostly full-stack generalists.
Our recent projects have included: simulating millions of minutes of football; modelling player performance; backtesting new ideas for our statistical models; web applications for our analysts to record brand new information about football matches; and turning static pages into complex live updating pages.
Learn more about working as a programmer at Football Radar here
What we offer:
- Competitive salary that is reviewed regularly, with an annual bonus option
- 33 days holiday (includes bank holidays)
- Competitive contribution match pension
- Flexible hours and working conditions
- Choice of your own development kit
- Paid learning and development opportunities
- Catered breakfast, lunch and dinners every day
- Fully subsidised private medical insurance + on-site health checks
- Subsidised luxury gym membership (10 minutes from the office)
- Garden for the sunny days
- Ping pong/ fussball
- Ongoing intellectual challenges