Senior Software Engineer (PHP/Python)
BrooksourceAustin, TX | Posted: 3 months ago
Brooksource is looking for a Senior Software Developer with experience in PHP for an Energy client in Austin/Round Rock, TX. This will be a 6 month contract to hire position.
About the team.
The team is small and scrappy making big moves in the commercial IoT space. They value openness, transparency, integrity, teamwork, collaboration, responsibility and ownership. They also value quality, creativity, passion, care, positive attitude, persistence, and customer focused value delivery. Theyre cross functional and growing in size and scope and release on two week sprints within the scrum framework. Theyre ready to go to the next level and seeking seasoned engineers who can help lead, influence and deliver on our product.
You like a small team where you can make a big impact. Youre an experienced engineer that has created or maintained large or complex systems. You have spent several years programming in a specific genre and have a strong understanding of design patterns, asynchronous programming, queuing, caching, logging, security and large data sets. Youre experienced with build automation, documentation, installers, automated testing. You create data structures and algorithms that encapsulate aspects of the problem that are subject to change.
You can visualize and design complex systems with multiple product lines and integrations with external systems. Your code is reliable and readable - others would identify it as beautiful. You have vast and in-depth knowledge of APIs and can simplify frequently used tasks and gaps in the API. You can do basic database administration, performance optimization, index optimization, write advanced select queries, able to replace cursor usage with relational SQL.You understand how data is stored internally, how indexes are stored internally, how databases can be mirrored, replicated etc. You have implemented multiple big features in the codebase and can easily visualize the changes required for most features or bug fixes.
What You Will Do
- Actively deliver high quality functioning code
- Develop systems for connecting to, monitoring, and controlling IoT devices
- Develop reliable and efficient REST APIs
- Solve for data manipulation and standardization via reliable coded process
- Work daily on the code with features, fixes, and debugging.
- Troubleshoot and improve existing systems and services
- Assist in coordinating and conducting unit testing, design patterns, code reviews, and software verification to ensure the quality of developed software
- Maintain detailed documentation and commentary on all work for software support and the preservation of the companys intellectual property.
- Communicate regularly with other stakeholders and teams within the organization.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 5+ Years in software development
- Practical experience developing in PHP and Python - preferrably using Laravel, Vue.js, MySQL
- Practical experience with SQL
- Practical experience working with JSON data structures
- Familiarity and comfort with the tools required in the role and associated industry standards and best practices.
- Creativity with a focus on the future
- Ability to work in a diverse team of professionals
- Experience with Cloud Architectures
- Current Experience working in SCRUM based teams
Bonus Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience working with IoT in commerce settings
- Experience working with systems that store, track, and analyze large diverse data-sets from dispersed sources
- Experience with enterprise level multi-tenant solutions
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with Cassandra db
- Passion for getting hands dirty in code and solving problems