Software Engineer - Security Orchestration, Automation and Response
Do you love coding and like the idea of working on projects that help protect businesses from cyber threats? CenturyLink's Security Orchestration, Automation and Response (SOAR) development team is looking for a new member to assist in automating responses to network-based threats. This team is on the forefront of leveraging bleeding edge software stacks to mitigate evolving threats.
Our ideal candidate is the person that spends hours writing code and/or scripts to automate five minutes of manual work that will be repeated. There are no expectations of prior experience in information security, or with our specific development stack, and/or security/network elements. We welcome applicants whom have a strong desire to learn and are from all ends of the software development, scripting, or infrastructure as code spectrum.
As a software engineer for our team, your time would be spent developing components for our orchestration system to interface with security elements and other components within the security product portfolio. The types of tools and systems you might work with/learn while on this team are:
- Ansible / Salt / Puppet / Chef
- Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ and other message brokers
- Redis, Mongo DB, Elasticsearch or other NoSQL type databases
- Jenkins/Gitlab CI/CD/ or other automated build and deployment systems
- Git or other revision control utilities
- Docker, Kubernetes, or other container and virtualization services
- Network and security elements such as routers, firewalls, DDoS mitigators, and intrusion detection systems
The following are not required, but are things that we look for to raise resumes up to the top of our stack:
- Prior work in any of these languages: Java, Scala, Ruby, PHP, Perl, or Python
- Experience with devops and/or writing infrastructure as code
- Experience with system, network, or security administration/engineering in a Unix-based environment
- Experience with configuration management tools such as ansible, salt, chef, etc
- Knowledge of Internet scale networking, including protocols, topologies, and security impacts
- Experience working with various different types of APIs: REST, SOAP, etc.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills and prior work in a collaborative software development environment