Senior Software Engineer - Transportation
WayfairBoston, MA | Posted: 3 months ago
Wayfair is looking for experienced, Team Leads and full-stack developers to join our Transportation Engineering team. The Transportation team's systems ensure Wayfair can rapidly and reliably deliver orders to customers -- everything from 5 ounce Christmas tree ornaments to 3500 pound concrete fountains. We coordinate the flow of information between customers, suppliers, warehouses, carriers, home delivery agents, and more -- all to support the delivery of over 1 million orders every month.
How will you be challenged?
Wayfair continues to build and scale out its custom e-commerce delivery network. A critical component of this strategy is transportation operations. The transportation engineering team builds functionality throughout the Wayfair Delivery Network that enables product to flow seamlessly from suppliers to customers.
The group builds applications and services to compete with customer expectations cultivated by other retailers that include shipping as fast as next day and frictionless merchandise returns. This problem space is particularly complex given the uniquely large packages that comprise a large percentage of Wayfair orders.
The key motivators of the transportation are to drive down costs, increase delivery speed, and maintain a reliable customer delivery experience.
Some examples of recent projects:
The transportation team has worked diligently over the past year to lay the initial foundation for the Wayfair Delivery Network. Over the past few months, initiatives have focused on driving down costs while maintaining delivery reliability. These include:
- Allow customers to schedule deliveries [to improve delivery reliability]
- Building a better returns process to improve customer experience and drive down costs
- Better manage the movement of freight in the network by being cognizant of promised delivery date/reservations, days to deliver, etc [drives down costs and improves delivery reliability]
- Show users a volumetric time series to increase utilization on our truckloads [lowers transportation costs]
- Uber-like tracking experience on the day of delivery for our WDN Customers ( higher engagement and NPS, leading to more repeat customers )
Who you are
- Mastery of a modern programming language (preferably PHP)
- Experience mentoring junior engineers
- Experience leading a large, cross-cutting technical initiative to delivery
- Proficient in cross-functional consensus building and influencing without authority
- Proficient in designing systems at scale
- Proficient in effective troubleshooting and issue resolution techniques
- Proficient in a modern frontend framework (preferably React)
- Proficient in writing SQL queries against a relational database