Staff Engineer, Transportation
Wayfair is looking for a hands-on Staff Engineer/Architect to join our Supply Chain Engineering's Transportation team. The Supply Chain Engineering team's systems ensure Wayfair can rapidly and reliably deliver orders to customers -- everything from 5 ounce Christmas tree ornaments to 3500 pound concrete fountains. We coordinate the flow of information between customers, suppliers, warehouses, carriers, home delivery agents, and more -- all to support the delivery of over 1 million orders every month.
We work across the stack -- from backend systems processing updates from carriers, to internal tools that manage our warehouses or allow our agents to schedule truckload movements, to front-end applications helping customers to stay up to date as orders makes their way through our network.
Our ideal architect has a background working with complex data systems and fast iteration in an agile environment, as well as a passion for mentoring more junior engineers. We deeply value: curiosity, collaboration, and an eagerness to make an impact on the business.
An ideal candidate will:
- Have 10+ years of relevant experience with database- backed applications, including schema design and complex reporting
- Have experience with PHP or similar scripting languages (or eager to learn)
- Be strongly motivated to apply technical skills to solve tough business problems
- Embrace the opportunity to help their fellow engineers as they do the same
- Managing the flow of containers of goods being shipped from overseas
- Planning, tendering and tracking truckload movements throughout our North American delivery network
- Coordinating the final stages of delivery (the "final mile"), including live customer tracking of delivery trucks
- Fine-grained control over injection of small parcel freight into the UPS and FedEx networks
- Overhauling how Wayfair processes large parcel returns from our customers