Sr. Staff Engineer - Architect
WayfairBoston, MA | Posted: 3 months ago
Wayfair's Supply Chain Engineering (SCE) team is creating software solutions to address the real world operational challenges related to the physical movement of goods to our customers' doorsteps. SCE tools enable our fulfillment, delivery, and assembly services to offer clearly differentiated value that gives Wayfair a competitive edge in the home goods market.
Interacting with all parts of the Supply Chain Engineering team and many external collaborators, the Sr. Staff Engineer will serve as an Architect and Platform leader to influence and positively impact software architecture and development across SCE.
The ideal candidate has great depth working with complex, transactional data systems. We're a very heavy SQL Server shop, and don't plan on moving away from the relational model any time soon. We're looking for someone who can:
- Help develop a vision for how to evolve our architecture.
- Work in the trenches with the teams that build and run our systems to drive towards that better architecture.
- Improve how we operate our systems, once we release them into production.
At Wayfair, we want every new hire to help raise the bar for our engineering teams -- to bring in new ideas, to mentor strong junior engineers, and to serve as a model of a technical leader. All of these aspects are particularly important for this role. We value people who are: risk-taking, data-oriented & collaborative.
We place a tremendous value on engineers who are excited to make an impact on the overall business (and aren't afraid of a scrappy, pragmatic solution to do so). We can be flexible about technical background -- most of the key systems in our domain are PHP on top of SQL Server, but some of the most successful architects and technical leaders came to Wayfair with Java or Python backgrounds and learned PHP on the job.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- 6+ years experience in software engineering and/or architecture leadership.
- Demonstrated technical leadership capability (code reviews, scrum, etc.)
- Ability to think and perform both tactically and strategically; Ability to set direction and execute the plan.
- Excellent analytical skills with demonstrated experience collecting and using data from operational systems.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills at the peer, and senior leadership levels.
- Ability to multi-task and work well within a dynamic, fast-paced organization.
- Positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude.
- Strong academic record (strong preference for technical, quantitative, or scientific backgrounds).