Junior Web Developer
Western Carolina UniversityCullowhee, North Carolina | Posted: 4 months ago
We are looking for a web developer with a back-end focus to complete our current web team! The current team of three handles CMS management, web content, and digital design, and we are seeking to round out the team by adding the technical skills of a developer. As part of University Marketing, our web team brings the skills of an IT team to a creative and innovative department of designers and marketers. We manage the primary wcu.edu website and other associated digital spaces.
In this position, you would be working with the team to build and maintain the university website by developing and integrating new components of the CMS, creating database connections, troubleshooting problems, debugging coding issues, and supporting the integration of social media APIs and external tools into the website. You would work with the team to build and customize unique one-off websites (sometimes static HTML sites) and affiliate sites (often in WordPress) to support marketing, advancement, and university goals. Duties will also include collaborating with partners in IT, applications development, and network management to manage technical aspects and back-end issues of the university web space. Our systems utilize Windows and Linux servers.
You will be part of a team that is location-based (this is not a remote position). While you would typically work office hours (Monday-Friday, typically eight (8) hours per day, 8 am-5 pm), you may be required to work after hours and weekends to meet deadlines or minimize service disruption. You may also be on-call periodically to help with urgent requests and to resolve and restore functionality to disrupted or failing web components. Our campus is located in the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina, so you can expect to spend your downtime enjoying the outdoors and the numerous activities and events the region has to offer.
Our ideal candidate has the following qualities:
- Ability to meet with stakeholders, understand business needs and requirements, and implement solutions to meet those needs
- Ability to explain technical matters clearly to end users and stakeholders who may have little knowledge of IT
- Approaches requests with ownership and consistently demonstrates a strong work ethic and quality output
- Excellent attention to detail
- Willingness to back-fill other team members’ responsibilities when needed
- Versatile. Ability to adapt to changing circumstances, project schedules, and a variety of requests
- Ability to work on multiple projects at a variety of stages within a project lifecycle and to use/work with different project management approaches to achieve goals
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and a logical approach to work
- Willingness to learn and expand in new areas
A bachelor’s degree with 1 to 3 years’ experience or equivalent combination of relevant education & experience.
- Knowledge of modern coding standards and best practices
- Experience or demonstrated training in IIS7, ASP, C#, MySQL, Apache, and PHP
- Familiarity with basic design principles
- Experience with at least two website content management systems
- Experience or demonstrated training in ensuring browser and device compatibility, methods for degrading for older browsers and displays and file compression techniques for improving speed
- Knowledge of strategies for ongoing improvement and optimization of website load speed and site performance
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Ability to manage project load with minimal to moderate supervision
Experience with large enterprise wide websites over 5000 pages
- Preference given to candidate with experience in OmniUpdate Campus
- Familiarity with the implementation of web accessibility standards
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Experience working with a web designer on all stages of a web project
- Strong customer service and communication skills