Web Developer - SourceData and EMBO Press
EMBO (embo.org) stands for excellence in the life sciences. We support talented researchers at all stages of their careers in Europe and beyond, stimulate the exchange of scientific information, and help build a research environment where scientists can achieve their best work. SourceData (sourcedata.embo.org) is as an open platform developed by EMBO to make research data shown in published figures findable, accessible, inter-connected and reusable. SourceData implements Open Science principles at the heart of scientific publishing. EMBO Press (embopress.org) publishes four prestigious scientific research journals, The EMBO Journal, EMBO Reports, Molecular Systems Biology and EMBO Molecular Medicine and has implemented numerous initiatives to promote transparency, reproducibility and efficiency in publishing.
EMBO (embo.org) is looking for a full-stack web developer to join the SourceData and EMBO Press teams.
You will join an international multi-disciplinary team of developers, editors and scientists to work on exciting projects that use technology to improve the efficiency of the scientific publishing process and to build an interface with Open Science.
As a full-stack Web Developer you will be responsible for:
- Working with our collaborators to maintain and improve the SourceData platform, including the web application used for data curation (Angular.js, PHP/MySQL), the SmartFigure navigator (Angular.js) and its search functions (SQL and neo4j databases).
- Maintaining existing or developing new tools for the editorial team at EMBO Press, for example tools to analyze the fate of rejected manuscripts, tools to assist manuscript and data quality checks, tools to automate repetitive tasks (Python, Django).
- Maintaining servers hosted by EMBO and needed for SourceData.
- Coordinating with the EMBO IT team for systems administration.
- Coordinating with external partners.
- Additional tasks as required by the Head of SourceData, the Head of Scientific Publications or the EMBO Director.
This position will occasionally require working outside of the normal working hours, in the evenings or during the weekend.
You have a creative mind with a strong sense of initiative. You are able to solve complex problems with perseverance and by acquiring the necessary competences. You are dynamic and adapt to new scenarios as they unfold. You might not (yet) be a 'tensor ninja' or a 'bash guru', but you are smart and open to always learn more. We love to work as a team and would like to welcome you as one of its key players.
We would like you to have a degree in computer science, computational biology, physics, maths or equivalent work experience. An MS or PhD in any related field will be strongly valued. The position requires expertise in the following fields:
- Demonstrated expertise in structured, object-oriented and test-oriented programming in Python and/or PHP.
- Experience with major web frameworks (e.g. Django, Laravel…).
- Experience with relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL…).
- Familiar with version control systems such as Git.
- Demonstrated involvement in Open Source development is a very significant asset.
Very good written and oral English language skills are a prerequisite.
You might also have
- Interest or experience in machine learning.
- A background in Linux system administration: bash scripting, server deployment and maintenance (e.g. systemd), cron jobs, backups, etc...
- Interest in or knowledge of semantic web technologies (RDF, SPARQL) or graph database (neo4j).
- Experience with XML parsing and processing.
Why join us
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a vibrant university city offering a high quality of life. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family-related benefits where applicable.
What else do I need to know
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review. The Web Developer reports to the Head of SourceData.