Front-End Web Developer
The Front-End Web Developer is responsible for the coding, usability and layout of the Luther College website. As the role takes into consideration both user experience and function, a certain level of both graphic design and programming experience is necessary. With a new brand strategy rolling out, this person will play a key role in implementing the branding into the design and layout of the website, as well as working with departments across campus to make updates, changes and additions to the site. This person will be a core part of the digital marketing team led by the director of digital marketing, working alongside the senior web software developer to execute user-centered design and front-end web programming.
This position is open to remote candidates with the understanding that regularly scheduled, on-campus work time will be required. As such, applicants located in the Midwest are highly preferred. This person will work with a remote-friendly team, using communication tools such as Slack, Google Hangouts, Pivotal Tracker, and Basecamp to collaborate and stay connected.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and maintain front-end code and applications on the Luther College website.
- Design and develop from static mockups into a working interactive experience.
- Ensure high-quality graphics standards are consistent across the Luther College site.
- Collaborate with senior web software developer to improve usability, UI/UX, and other primary key performance indicators (KPIs.)
- Work cross-functionally within the Marketing and Communications Department and with external stakeholders to meet strategic organizational goals and initiatives.
- Develop within an Agile development framework of two-week sprints, daily standups and bi-monthly sprint planning sessions.
- Identify new development opportunities consistent with short and long-term college goals.
- Keep up with the constantly changing world of front-end design and development, including web trends and tools.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- 3-5 years of front-end developing experience.
- Familiar with and capable of implementing front-end UI that is compliant with ADA accessibility requirements for hearing and vision-impaired site visitors.
- Experience working an open-source PHP-based CMS, and can provide consultation and insight throughout an upcoming CMS change from the Reason CMS.
- Firm understanding of UI/UX principles and best practices to ensure useful and accurate site analytics.
- Strong competency in responsive, mobile-first layouts.
- Familiarity with frameworks such as Bootstrap and Foundation.
- Have used progressive libraries such as React.js or Vue.js for building user interfaces.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to effectively communicate your work with both technical and non-technical team members.
- Working knowledge of technical SEO.
- Demonstrated involvement in developing, analyzing and implementing digital testing strategies.
- Exceptional Agile development skills.
- A positive attitude, self-motivated and eager to learn.
- Familiarity with source control systems such as Git are a plus.
- Ability and experience designing effective, user-friendly landing pages.
- Some experience with backend scripting languages such as PHP is preferred.
- Experience with Wordpress and Drupal.
- Luther College offers an excellent benefit package including a generous retirement contribution, competitive health insurance premiums, short and long-term disability, life insurance, and tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Luther College seeks to build a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students. Luther College is an equal opportunity employer. Women and persons of diverse ethnic backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply. We value the input of multiple viewpoints and perspectives to create an academic community that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates are encouraged to identify their strengths or experiences that will contribute to this goal.