Software Architect Wayfair is the premier destination to shop for a Zillion Things Home across 5,000 brands. Our supply chain is becoming an increasingly visible component to Wayfair's core strategy. The Warehouse Management Systems team, which owns the software, systems, and processes running inside our fulfillment centers, is a critical piece of that strategy. We prototype, build, and scale the tools used by our warehouse operations staff to pick, pack, and ship customer orders. We pride ourselves on driving accuracy and on-time delivery as order volume increases and the distribution network evolves to serve the volume.
We build and support a variety of technologies created in-house, as well as integrations with best-in-breed vendors. Technology in our warehouses is growing by leaps and bounds with the inclusion of automation, supplier self-service, and learning from rapid experimentation. Prototyping is at the heart of our culture and generates the data used in our data-driven decisions. We welcome new ideas from a diverse set of backgrounds and encourage innovation at all levels.
The warehouse is a key driver in increasing delivery speed, driving down cost in the supply chain, and delighting our customers.
WMS started with one single warehouse serving the entire US. We now have a network of fulfillment centers, cross docks, and pool points throughout the US, UK, and EU. We are in the midst of creating new warehouse functionality while increasing availability of items that can be delivered in 2 days or less. Small, medium, and large parcel items are all included in the network and pose exciting challenges when designing the next phase of fulfillment technology. Here are some recent projects that have pushed our global fulfillment network forward in its speed and product availability.
- Automated product handling to minimize labor per order
- Predictive analytics to eliminate damaged items before they enter the supply chain
- Supplier recall capabilities to enable new product categories in the warehouse
- Order picking rules engine based on expiration date
- Small, medium, and large parcel handling in the same facility
- Customized Android devices to improve warehouse staff efficiency
- Flexible routing to enable optimal delivery speed and cost
We are never done. Warehousing has an exciting roadmap to continually improve the customer experience, add new capabilities, and minimize cost. We have large ambitions to further enhance our world class supply chain and require the best and brightest to make it happen. The next generation warehouses will have extensive automation, flexible configurations that conform to the consumer demands, and real time feedback on operations.
What You'll Do
- Lead technical roadmaps, design, and implementation across multiple teams of high performing engineers that will shape the future of Wayfair's supply chain.
- Actively encourage and participate in debate to form strong opinions weakly held
- Motivates and influence teams to buy into vision and roadmap, pushing individuals outside of their comfort zones where necessary
- Drive high impact architectural decisions including inception, design, and delivery
- Obsessively focus on production readiness for the team including testing, monitoring, deployment, and proactive troubleshooting
- Identify risks and gaps in product offerings that drive revenue or cost out and lead non-trivial initiatives to address those needs
- Externally recognized as credible technical and product subject matter expert for broader team's focus area
- Create proposals and action plans to garner support across the organization
- Drive implementation and provide visibility to progress through short feedback loops and data-driven action
Who You Are:
- Proficient in cross-functional consensus building and influencing without authority
- Mastery in designing production systems at scale including fault tolerance, reliability, performance, and security
- Mastery in effective troubleshooting and issue resolution techniques
- Mastery of a server side programming language (PHP preferred but not required)
- Mastery of a frontend framework (React preferred but not required)
- Mastery of writing SQL queries against a relational database
About Us Wayfair is one of the world's largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we're reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you're looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you'll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We're a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair - and world - for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That's why we're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.