Analytics Engineering Manager
Analytics Engineering at Wayfair seeks to empower every employee at Wayfair to make data-informed decisions by providing self-service tooling to handle complex analytic tasks at scale. We use open source and internal technologies to build, improve, and manage the reporting platforms and processing technologies used by thousands of Wayfair employees every day to serve our customers more efficiently.
Working with partners in the rest of analytics, you will set the agenda and priority for a team of talented engineers who build full stack analytic products. Responsibilities include partnering with product managers to drive the roadmap, mentoring and training engineers, and architecting the next generation of Wayfair’s reliable, scalable, and resilient analytic tooling.
What You’ll Do
- Contribute to the development of key internally developed Wayfair analytic products, including:
- Job scheduling
- Data cataloging and lineage
- Anomaly Detection
- Build, schedule, and manage data pipelines from application origin through batch and streaming systems to make it available in this tooling
- Own, maintain, and improve core analytic products ranging from classic frontend BI tooling that enables self-service exploration of data at scale to sophisticated batch and streaming data pipelines
- Work to lower barriers to data access across the company and provide tools to surface relevant, actionable data where it is needed
- Interface with core analytic systems, including petabyte scale Hadoop and Vertica environments
- Mentor and develop of a team of full stack data experts to enable all of the above
Who You Are
- Excited about unlocking the value of petabyte scale data
- A desire to develop sophisticated technical applications from the frontend user experience to the backend system administration
- Familiar with SQL
- Excited to collaborate with partners across the business and engineering to understand their needs
What You Have
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems or a related degree required
- Experience working as a manager, tech-lead, or cross-functional architect.
- Comfortable coaching a team of analysts to grow their technical, analytical, and communication skills.
- 2+ years of people management experience preferred.
- Examples of prior innovation in a fast-paced, independent capacity.
- Experience with agile development, source control systems, continuous integration and other standards of modern development
- Analytical, creative, and innovative approach to solving problems
- Strong written and verbal communication
What we’d love to see (but isn’t required)
- Previous work with a full stack application, especially in the analytics space
- Previous experience with Hadoop and associated query systems like Presto or Hive