Software Engineer II
Wayfair continues to build and scale out its custom e-commerce delivery network. A critical component of this strategy is transportation operations. The transportation engineering team builds functionality throughout the Wayfair Delivery Network that enables product to flow seamlessly from suppliers to customers.
The group builds applications and services to compete with customer expectations cultivated by other retailers that include shipping as fast as next day and frictionless merchandise returns. This problem space is particularly complex given the uniquely large packages that comprise a large percentage of Wayfair orders.
The key motivators of the transportation are to drive down costs, increase delivery speed, and maintain a reliable customer delivery experience.
The transportation team has worked diligently over the past year to lay the initial foundation for the Wayfair Delivery Network. Over the past few months, initiatives have focused on driving down costs while maintaining delivery reliability. These include:
- Allow customers to schedule deliveries [to improve delivery reliability]
- Building a better returns process to improve customer experience and drive down costs
- Better manage the movement of freight in the network by being cognizant of promised delivery date/reservations, days to deliver, etc [drives down costs and improves delivery reliability]
- Show users a volumetric time series to increase utilization on our truckloads [lowers transportation costs]
- Uber-like tracking experience on the day of delivery for our WDN Customers ( higher engagement and NPS, leading to more repeat customers )
- Transportation Hackathon blog post: https://tech.wayfair.com/2018/11/first-mile-in-transportation-engineering-with-driveway-app/
What You'll Do
- Be a key contributing member of a small team with a big impact. You will be executing on the projects which shape the future of Wayfair’s supply chain.
- Provide mentorship for peers and more junior engineers
- Act collaboratively to discover opportunities to increase team velocity
- Participate in production support for team and help individuals running point on criticals as necessary
- Work independently once direction is set, perform due diligence in finding answers before engaging others
- Prioritize your own work and manage timely responses to requests from users and customers
- Develop technical designs for systems and components that drive business outcomes
- Be a subject matter expert of some areas of the system
- Communicate across engineering and business teams to drive project execution
- Own communications for issue or roadblock escalation and understands when and how to do so effectively
What You'll Need
- Experience in effective troubleshooting and issue resolution techniques
- Experience in a server side programming language (PHP preferred but not required)
- Experience in a frontend framework (React preferred but not required)
- Experience in writing SQL queries against a relational database
- Exposure to production systems design including fault tolerance, reliability, performance, and security
- Exposure to testing frameworks and CI/CD
- Exposure to asynchronous system design principles
- Ability to deliver results in a highly collaborative environment