Senior Software Engineer Subscriptions & Payments
At Skillshare, we’re building a global community of curious, lifelong learners. The ability to access our platform from anywhere is increasingly important as we scale, especially internationally. Building a more robust subscriptions and payments platform plays a huge role in allowing us to reach a global audience and make learning as easy as glancing at your phone. We’re excited to welcome a senior back-end engineer to our Subscriptions and Payments team, who will be responsible for designing and implementing architecture that will give our users reliable and versatile access to learning – which ties directly to our company’s growth.
What you'll do:
- Build back-end architecture that unlocks the product team’s velocity and ability to experiment.
- Propose which features are good candidates for microservices – and own the strategy, architecture, and implementation.
- Design elegant and scalable APIs for use by both mobile and web clients.
- Create and maintain the components around our subscriptions and payments platform:
- Service and event-driven architecture
- GraphQL and RESTful API design and documentation
- Database schema design and query optimization
- Performance monitoring and error reporting
- Balance important developer-driven projects with improvements our users will notice.
Why we're excited about you:
- You’re an experienced back-end engineer with a proven history of building at scale.
- You have experience with payment platforms and financial systems, as well as the ability to demonstrate and share best practices with the larger team.
- You understand the requirements of a subscription-based product offering and can design solutions to handle the different types of plans, offers, trials, duration, discounts, etc.
- You have an interest in resolving technical challenges related to international online payment processing.
- You have exposure to both web and mobile payment APIs.
- You’re ready to work with an existing code base (some understanding of PHP, node.js and TypeScript is expected) but you can pick up language expertise as needed.
- You are a natural collaborator – you work seamlessly within and between teams.
- You are motivated by full ownership over your work, and are eager to help improve our users’ experience.
Why you're excited about us:
- Impact: Our international user base is growing, and you’ll play a huge role in ensuring they not only have access, but an incredibly seamless experience.
- Growth: You’ll have room to wear a lot of hats and take on more responsibility over time.
- Our mission: We are building a learning ecosystem for the new economy and changing millions of lives for the better.
- Our team: We have a passionate, smart team that is a lot of fun to work with.
- Your life: We take pride in our flexibility. Working remotely is part of how we need to work these days. You’re a professional, and we trust you to do what you need to do.