We are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and talented Web Developer to join the Web Development team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located at the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
Recent projects include:
- Porting the CABANA website onto Drupal 8
- Building a quiz module in Drupal 8 and releasing it to the Drupal developer community
- Building a React editorial interface for the BioExcel project
- Maintenance of, and implementation of redesigns on, EMBL-EBI’s Training sub-sites
- Creating web-based systems for capturing and analysing the impact of Training, both for the EMBL-EBI training programme and for ELIXIR’s training platform.
As part of the Web Development Team your primary role will be working on training websites for EMBL-EBI’s world-leading training programme. You will also help produce shared components and guidance for other web developers at EMBL-EBI to use on other tools and projects.
Training is a core activity across EMBL-EBI, involving almost every part of the organisation and coordinated by a team of 23 people. The Training Team delivers a world-recognised programme that encompasses face-to-face and online learning, training trainers and secondments.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Designing and developing client- and server-side components and services for use by the web development team and by others across EMBL-EBI;
- Working with User Experience professionals to design intuitive usable experiences for both end users of our sites and those creating content;
- Producing responsive, secure and usable code.
- Developing sites, modules and themes on Drupal
- Ability to work collaboratively with others, using the processes and tools of the trade. For example: agile development, git, and continuously improving processes;
- Written and oral communication skills with non-technical stakeholders;
- Working with and creating web services and APIs.
You will be integrated in a small web team and will interact with the UX designers and users of the content management systems – primarily members of EMBL-EBI’s Training Team and projects related to training. As well as technical ability, you must be able to demonstrate the ability to work well with colleagues and to collaborate with external partners.
We’re looking for somebody who cares deeply about the experience of those using the websites, and those creating the content that drives them. You believe the best sites are made when there is a strong collaboration between these groups.
You must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and enjoy working in a stimulating and international culture. An interest or experience in science, especially life sciences, would be advantageous
You might also have:
- Skilled at back-end development using a server-side language such as PHP/Ruby/Node.js;
- Experience with CSS frameworks such as Foundation or Bootstrap;
- Experience with web and graphic design;
Why join us:
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind.
Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good.
As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states.
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library. To view a copy of the full job description please visit our website.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system. Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Applications will close on Monday 22 July 2019 on 23:00 GMT.