Senior Software Engineer
About This Role:
The Senior Software Engineer develops software products and systems. S/he analyzes and evaluates existing and proposed systems and creates and modifies computer programs, systems and related procedures to process data.
You’ll be the foundation member of the US team working with an Australian-based development team. You’ll get to use your skills across a wide variety of technologies ranging from our backend with PHP and AWS (IOT, Beanstalk, EC2, Memcached, SNS ,SQS) to our HTML-based front-end.
If you are a smart, quick thinking senior developer who isn’t afraid to learn new technologies, is great at troubleshooting, and who has the enthusiasm and drive to work with a team of like-minded developers, we want to hear from you.
Essential Job Functions/Tasks:
- Writes code; tests, debugs and performs analysis of systems, and handles requests for feature changes. Works with Technical Support team, Hydrawise Product Manager and Firmware team to troubleshoot and fix application issues.
- Works with the Australian Development team on feature enhancements and to coordinate code releases and bug fixes.
- Leads feature development or internal projects, working closely with the Product Manager to ensure adherence to customer requirements.
- Mentors other Software Engineers to ensure good code quality and that industry best practices are followed.
- Proactively monitors and analyzes application metrics to find and fix issues before customers find them.
- Provides functional and operational support on assigned applications, systems and technologies. Interprets technical information for non-technical team members.
Other Job Functions:
Performs other related tasks as assigned, some of which may become essential to the position.
Hunter Industries’ approach to the health and safety of each employee is based on adherence to our Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP). Every employee is responsible for their safety and must work safely at all times. Employees are to immediately report all unsafe or hazardous conditions, including injuries and near misses to their Supervisor or the Risk Management department. Those employees who do not comply with safe work practices may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
Minimum seven years of progressive experience in software development.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's):
KSA #1: Ability to accurately perform troubleshooting of software, hardware, and database issues.
KSA #2: Advanced knowledge of contemporary software development tools.
KSA #4: Ability to read, understand and modify codebases written by third parties.
KSA #5: Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to interact with members across the organization.
KSA #6: Advanced proficiency in use of computers and network systems.
KSA #7: Excellent attention to detail, time management and organizational skills.
KSA #8: Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
KSA #9: Ability to work under minimal supervision and within timelines.
KSA #10: Ability to recognize and act upon opportunities to learn and teach skills.
KSA #11: Ability to work flexible hours in order to collaborate with a global team.
KSA #12: Able to lead projects and collaborate with internal customers to ensure adherence to requirements.
KSA #13: Ability to travel domestically and internationally. Must have or be able to obtain a valid passport.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's) Preferred:
KSA #15: Knowledge of the following Amazon Web Services: Aurora RDS, EC2 / Linux, Beanstalk.
Ability to sit for extended periods of time to use the computer, to perform paperwork activities, to attend meetings, etc. Intermittent walking to gain access to areas within the facility.
Ability to climb stairs to gain access to the upper level work area.
Finger dexterity sufficient to use a computer and to complete paperwork activities.
Visual acuity sufficient to use a computer and to read and complete written documents.
Hearing sufficient to communicate with individuals by telephone and in person.
Office setting with temperature controls and carpeted floor.