Software Engineer Associate, Scoring Platform
The Scoring Platform team builds and maintains machine learning technologies to empower millions of users – readers, contributors, and donors – who contribute to Wikipedia and its sister projects on a daily basis. We address process inefficiencies with machine learning technologies, we design and test new technology, we produce empirical insights, and we publish and present research of the intersection of technology and culture. We are strongly committed to principles of transparency, privacy and collaboration. We use free and open source technology and we collaborate with researchers in the industry and academia.
As an Associate Software Engineer of the Scoring Platform team, you will help us build and scale our machine prediction service, train new machine learning models, and implement other data-intensive applications. You’ll interact with researchers and volunteer contributors to Wikimedia Projects. You’ll build machine learning-based technologies and we’ll learn about the impacts of those technologies together.
You are responsible for:
- Engaging with research, design, and implementation of Scoring Platform’s data intensive infrastructure and APIs.
- Collaborating with researchers and product managers to bring forward foundational technologies for new products.
- Collaborating with other members of the Wikimedia engineering teams on relevant projects.
- Participating in internal documentation efforts.
- Working in coordination with volunteer developers, editors, and researchers to understand their needs.
- Sharing our values, respecting our code of conduct, adhering to our team norms, and working in accordance with all three.
Skills and Experience:
- Engineering mindset and experience in Linux ecosystems
- Willingness to learn basic statistics, machine learning, and/or data analysis techniques.
- Demonstrable experience developing and debugging web applications
- Strong verbal and written proficiency with the English language
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Information science, or equivalent work experience
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Real world experience writing horizontally scalable web applications
- Experience participating in open source software projects and communities
- Familiarity with scientific computing libraries in Python.
- Experience collaborating in online spaces (chatrooms, web forums, etc.)