Senior Backend Engineer
Deeply rooted in all of us are reasons for Why we make the decisions we do. At PracticeGenius we equip thousands of businesses around the globe with tools and services that more effectively engage and align their business goals and initiatives with those of their customers, advocates, and employees.
By combining the principles of behavioral economics and choice architecture with gamification, reward-loyalty systems, and social engagement functionality we’ve created a scalable platform that helps businesses of all sizes add contextual interactions and incentives to their most valued relationships.
Accomplishing this takes a focused effort from a talented team. Culturally we pride ourselves on the diversity that is celebrated amongst our teams and share an affinity for intelligent minds, quality work, and exceptional customer care. We have employees distributed throughout the US and offer a remote-friendly culture and flexible in-office positions.
As a Software Engineer at PracticeGenius, you’ll have a significant impact on a product used by millions of users as well as the team behind it. You’ll do this through a combination of writing code, participating in code review, collaborating remotely with engineering and non-engineering team members, and most importantly contributing your own unique experiences and perspective.
Join us as we develop fresh new product offerings as well as help drive our continued mission of improving and replacing legacy systems, constantly adopting new technologies in an environment where you are empowered to experiment and free to fail safely.
Who Are You?
- You care about product, think about end users, and take pride in the quality of your work.
- Introvert or extrovert, you've got a phenomenal personality and respect for others.
- You enjoy the constant challenges and learning that come with software development.
- You’re not afraid to raise concerns, suggest improvements, or question the status quo.
- You seek to learn from others as well as share your own knowledge and experience.
- You’re a good and curious person looking to be a big part of a small team.
What Are Your Skills?
- You are proficient in PHP (Laravel experience is a plus).
- You are experienced and confident in managing MySQL in production.
- You communicate effectively whether on video/audio calls or in a chat environment.
- You can analyze a problem and break it down into small, achievable chunks.
- You can act on feedback from others and provide helpful feedback to others.
- You know how to contribute to and work effectively on a distributed, remote team.
- You know how to research, explore and successfully introduce new technologies.
Examples of profiles that are relevant to us
*You’ve likely had experience that falls into one or more scenarios such as:
- Led or played a major role in the development of a system involving multiple software developers and/or teams.
- Held significant ownership of a software project from its early stages, through initial development, to release and maintenance.
- Revitalized and/or replaced a legacy system with more modern, appropriate technology.
- Built a sizable authenticated (e.g. OAuth, JWT, etc) RESTful API-based system.
- Deployed and maintained a load balanced server environment with multiple web-servers.
- Introduced or owned backend technologies such as ElasticSearch, Memcached, Redis, RabbitMQ, etc.
- Identified and optimized performance issues on demanding processes, whether they were database or application code oriented.
Compensation and Benefits
- We offer competitive salaries.
- We offer several health benefit plans and a company funded FSA.
- New iMac or Macbook Pro of your choice, monitors, stand up desk, and more…
- Paid subscriptions/software to help you grow and excel (PhpStorm, Laracasts, egghead.io, Amazon books, etc...)
- Ample paid time off, flexible work schedule, and a healthy work-life balance.
- Remote-friendly. Our engineering team is fully distributed across the Western US. USA candidates only please.
We welcome applicants of all backgrounds, gender, age, and race. If you are unsure whether you meet the requirements or have any questions, please reach out and we'd be happy to help!
Well...if this all sounds good to you and you think we might have a fit, please proceed!