MessageBird is a Cloud Communications Platform that enables consumers in virtually every corner of the planet to connect with businesses in the same way they connect with their friends - seamlessly, on their own timeline and with context. We’re one of the fastest growing software companies in the world and we’re looking to expand our Product-Engineering Team with an experienced Engineering Manager to help grow our department.
As an Engineering Manager you are responsible for a Product-Engineering tribe, leading Engineers across multiple product-delivery squads. In cooperation with Product Managers and Lead Engineers you identify high-value deliverables, you supervise project scope and ensure that technical deliverables are met.
As an independent and true leader, you communicate expectations clearly to all team members - soliciting and delivering individual feedback often - and you are a star in stakeholder management.
You are the type of person who has a higher overview but knows what’s happening on the ground. You're not expected to write code on a day-to-day basis. You do however, have a strong technical background and understand the applications and products you lead well enough to contribute to the architecture and product vision. You collect information about areas of technical debt, carry out cost/benefit analysis for resolving it, and communicate suggested timelines to the Product and Engineering teams in order to do so.
- Lead a team of Lead Engineers and Software Engineers (10+ people).
- Build high performance, high-velocity squads, measuring and iterating on processes as we grow and evolve as a business.
- Set the right balance between finding opportunities for the team to learn/improve, and shipping products on time.
- Set goals and directions for teams and team members, based on top-down goals & objectives and tracks progress against them.
- Have 1-on-1’s with direct reports (Lead Engineers) and have regular check-ins with all tribe members
- Build a high performing team; act as a hiring manager for your Tribe, identifying and recruiting talent.
Skills & Qualifications
- 5+ years of experience working in (Software) Engineering as a Software Engineer
- 2+ years of management experience
- You work in a structured way, have an eye for detail and can explain your ideas in clear form
- You have a proactive attitude, are a team player, who is passionate about helping others to grow
- You understand the difference between and are able to prioritise business, product and engineering needs
- Profound experience in setting inspirational OKRs (yearly and quarterly)
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Top-notch work equipment (MacBook, Large screen, Bose QuietComfort headphones, you name it!).
- MessageBird swag to keep you looking fresh in summer and feeling warm in winter.
- We are a team of foodies, so every single day, lunch is on us. Better said, our private chefs are serving great food all day long!
- Friday after-work drinks at the office.
- Weekly kickboxing, pilates and bootcamp classes at our office (on the rooftop in summer!).
- The occasional company-wide gathering and team outings (dinners, paintball, bubble ball, LAN gaming, movie nights, we always find a reason to hang out).
- A swanky new, spacious office with a ping pong table, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega and PS4.
- Forward-thinking, talented and fun colleagues, hailing from more than 43 countries.
Work with us and build the data-driven communications company of the future. MessageBird is an equal opportunity employer. If you think you meet these requirements, apply! We look forward to your application letter and resume.