Eng 2, Network Engineering
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
The Network Engineer 2 will be responsible for the network infrastructure, core / edge routing, and application delivery design across several national and regional data centers. Additional duties will include design, performance engineering, real time analysis and optimization of the existing data center network. The Comcast data center network combines the following services-data, voice, and video-onto a single converged IP infrastructure.
- Work with senior engineers on the design and build of core routing and application architectures throughout the national and regional data center footprint
- Perform sustained network engineering duties to support data center services for data, video, and voice products
- Create and document all high-level and detailed network designs
- Monitor network capacity, plan and implement data center augments as needed
- Model network capacity for failure scenarios to proactively predict routing and topology changes
- Participate in the development and planning for future hardware and software versions relative to data center network elements.
- Assist in efforts to automate internal processes and tools for departmental engineering tasks
- Participate in assigned interdepartmental technical projects
- Provide On-Call support, with focus on providing expedited design service and issue resolution for the customer
- Build relationships with systems and application teams through regular communication
- Communicate applicable design guidelines and provide guidance to system and application teams to ensure compliance
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- CCNA/CCNP certification preferred, or similar
- Python or PHP or PERL programming languages and familiarity with Linux Operating Systems
- 2+ years’ experience focused configuring and implementation of IP router based high-speed technology
- Working knowledge and experience in Layer-2 bridging and Layer-3 routing protocols – BGP, IS-IS or OSPF, knowledge of routed protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
- Experience with various network vendor platforms: Arista, Juniper, and Cisco
- Experience implementing DSCP based ACL’s, and in the implementation of multicast a plus
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated initiative to build relationships both internally and externally with minimal supervision/direction from management
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks/projects
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
- Engineering, Computer Science
- Generally requires 2-5 years related experience
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex or any other legally protected category.