Developer Advocacy Manager
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.Remote | Posted: 7 months ago
Can you envision yourself applying your technical communication skills to make a positive impact in the world? Come work within the Technology department at the Wikimedia Foundation! We are dedicated to supporting developers within and outside of the Wikimedia Foundation. You are someone who is comfortable sharing ideas, providing guidance, following instructions, mentoring volunteers, and communicating in public and asynchronous ways (mailing lists/forums/irc). Our teams work remotely and so can you!
The Wikimedia Foundation is passionate about making it easier for people to use Wikimedia APIs and to contribute to the numerous FLOSS projects that the Wikimedia movement relies on to power their wikis. Towards that end, we are reimagining the team that is responsible for technical community outreach. We are shifting our focus towards producing sample code, tutorials, and other documentation designed to help introduce new concepts and provide a more complete picture of how to use the products and services of the Wikimedia movement. The Developer Advocacy Manager will be an active participant in this process by helping introduce new practices, mentor team members, and design programs.
As the Developer Advocacy Manager, we'd like you to do these things:
- Lead a team of Developer Advocates and Technical Writers working to grow usage of Wikimedia APIs and participation in Wikimedia technical projects
- Talk with teams, individual contributors at Wikimedia Foundation, and community volunteers to obtain an in-depth understanding of needs and requirements of technical contributors
- Design programs to address gaps in technical outreach in collaboration with Foundation staff and community members
- Help Wikimedia technical teams inside and outside the Foundation to increase adoption of their products and participation in their programs involving technical audiences
- Collaborate with partner organizations and large scale users of Wikimedia APIs to improve their integrations with Wikimedia projects
Experience we'd like you to bring to our mission:
- History of producing documentation, sample code, and presentations for one or more products in a Developer Advocate role
- Ability to understand complex technical concepts and make them understandable for others
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Dedication and ability to communicate clearly and patiently with individuals from our international communities of volunteer developers
- Appreciation for and desire to better understand diverse groups of people, cultures and learners; fosters an open environment of inclusion and equity in the workplace, volunteer spaces, and beyond
- Strong interpersonal skills, with track record of modeling good social and development practices
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience
And it would be even more awesome if you have any experience with any of these:
- Team lead/line manager experience
- Experience interacting with free and open-source software projects and communities
- Experience working with communities of volunteers
- Experience supporting diversity in communities (gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, native language, cultural background, age...)
- Experience using PHP, Python, Node.js, or other languages to build web applications
- Strong working knowledge of collaborative editing and wikis
- Ability to write in explanatory and procedural styles for multiple audiences
- Experience contributing to Wikipedia, Wikibooks, or other sister projects in the Wikimedia family
We would love to see an example of your amazing technical writing skills as part of your application! Please submit a link to a sample of your work when you apply.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location