Senior Backend Engineer
We are looking for a goal-oriented and self-motivated Senior PHP Developer to join our team in Berlin. As a Senior PHP Developer, you will join a dynamic team of Engineers who share a passion for technology and for providing the best experience possible to our members. In this role, you will become a part of the core development team responsible for designing and developing complex web applications and new features for our platform. You will work alongside a team of hard-working Engineers who follow software development best practices to build a well-specified, scalable product based on strongly modularized architecture, automated testing, and deployment. Join our team and help us continue to inspire people to lead an active and healthy life.
- Design, develop, and maintain new and existing features for the USC product using PHP
- Follow agile development methodologies, demonstrating ownership and flexibility in your day-to-day work
- Partner with QA to identify/troubleshoot application code-related issues
- Ensure excellent code quality and enforce best practices by communicating with team members and holding each other accountable
- Collaborate with and challenge your fellow developers to generate new ideas and innovative solutions that will best serve the USC members
Our tech stack
- Phalcon, PHP 5/7, MVC, SOA
- HTML5, CSS, Sass, jQuery, Ajax
- PHPUnit, Behat, PHP CodeSniffer, phpDoc
- REST API, JSON, SOAP
- AWS, Debian, Docker, nginx
- PostgreSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch
- Git, Scrum
What you need to succeed
- You successfully finished your academic studies in the field of computer sciences or equivalent professional experience
- You have 4+ years of experience in development with PHP5/7 frameworks, adhering to best practices in OOP, SOLID principles, design patterns, clean code, and testing
- Clear and convincing communication skills in English with an ability to express technical concepts to stakeholders no matter their professional background
- Experience with Phalcon PHP Framework
- Excellent SQL knowledge and/or experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience with ElasticSearch or another Lucene-based search engine
Our offer to you
- A mission-driven workplace where your daily tasks will help people lead a happy and healthy life.
- The opportunity to have a measurable impact within a fast-growing, innovative and performance-driven company during the outset of its international market expansion.
- “Workout. Life. Balance.” Life happens, and work can’t always come first. We support you in finding a way to balance the two.
- Lots of learning opportunities - we enable you to grow both personally and professionally.
- An autonomous work environment that embraces self-responsibility, where everyone's opinion is equally valuable.
- Many additional perks including: regular team events, foreign language classes, periodic home office flexibility, choice of computer/technology, dog-friendly workplace, fully equipped kitchens with healthy snacks & beverages, employee referral bonuses, and more.
- A free Urban Sports Club L Membership (and lots of colleagues to use it with!)
- Relocation assistance